Foundation series

Australian Koala Foundation takes aim at political dill with launch of ‘Koala Army’s Guide to Democracy’

As we prepare to head to the polls, the Australian Koala Foundation (AKF) has launched The Koala Army’s Guide to Democracy, a satirical cartoon series that aims to teach Gen Z how important their vote is to save our national icon, the Koala – and it comes with a side of pickles!

The Koala Army Guide to Democracy features 13 lessons on how democracy works, how laws are made, and what it will take to pass the Koala Protection Act – groundbreaking legislation that will change environmental legislation forever by proactively protecting koala habitat.

The Guide’s Don’t Vote For A Dill campaign shines a light on the ‘koala diplomacy’ often deployed by our politicians – posing happily with a cute koala in their arms, but behind all the photo opportunities and political rhetoric they continue to endorse the destruction of the koala habitat.

AKF President Deborah Tabart OAM said we need Gen Z to know how important their vote is on May 21.

“The Koala Army Democracy Guide is illustrated by AKF designer Shaun Wilson and so cleverly depicts the political landscape and how it’s up to us, ‘the people,’ to keep our koalas from harm. -liked to move from ‘Endangered’ to ‘Disappeared’.

The AKF calls for the urgent adoption of a law on the protection of koalas. Australian laws do nothing to protect koala habitat. Splashes of money and band-aid solutions won’t save the Koala, strong legislative action is needed to stop the bulldozers. The message is simple: “no tree, no me”.

The Koala Army Democracy Guide eBook can be found here.

To help Australians vote wisely, the AKF has launched the Act or Ax initiative which features MPs who support the Koala Protect Act: https://www.savethekoala.com/our-work/act-or -axis/

About the Australian Koala Foundation:

• The Australian Koala Foundation (AKF) is the leading non-profit, non-governmental organization dedicated to the long-term conservation and effective management of wild koalas in Australia.

• Over 80% of the Koala’s natural habitat has been destroyed since the white colonization of Australia, and almost none of the remaining 20% ​​is protected. The AKF’s proposed Koala Protection Act aims to change that.

• Since its founding in 1986, the AKF has grown from a small group of people interested in koala disease research to a well-known global organization with a strong track record in strategic koala research, conservation and conservation. community education.

/Public release. This material from the original organization/authors may be ad hoc in nature, edited for clarity, style and length. The views and opinions expressed are those of the authors.