Foundation series

Michael Rubino of The Change The Air Foundation on the importance of your home’s air quality

Most people think of household mold as just ugly and smelly. What makes it more dangerous than that?

Mold is considered an indoor contaminant for several reasons. As a colony grows, it releases microscopic particles called spores into the surrounding environment. Measured in microns, these spores are small enough to be inhaled, absorbed and ingested into the body.

The longer a colony grows in a home, the more spores accumulate in that area, reducing indoor air quality and coating home surfaces. This results in an increasing number of foreign particles entering the body of anyone spending time in the building. Their immune system will work to continually get rid of it, but it can get overwhelmed and/or malfunction, leading to health issues. Not to mention that growing mold indoors also increases the chances of another colony growing elsewhere due to the high number of spores in the space, further contaminating the space.

Certain species of mold can also create microscopic toxins called mycotoxins when threatened. These particles are naturally toxic to the human body and can also cause a wide range of chronic health problems. Interestingly, the FDA regulates mycotoxin levels in our food products, but there are no regulations for our indoor spaces.