iThemba LABS wishes to appoint a head of the department: Research Development and Technical Support who will be responsible for the overall management of the facilities and personnel of the department; departmental budgeting and financial reporting; staff succession plan/employment equity plan; relations with users and stakeholders; postgraduate students supervised by staff and providing strategic leadership in the senior management forum.
- Management of the staff of the technical assistance service for research and development
- Management and management of technical R&D projects in support of research laboratories
- Ensure adequate control and management of projects and their effective, efficient and economical implementation
- Evaluate and utilize appropriate and/or improved technologies in the work environment for the achievement of departmental objectives
- Contribute to technical/professional/scientific planning, work processes and operations
- Ensure regular reporting and meetings take place to monitor and correct operational inefficiencies/inefficiencies
- Manage the department’s budget and plan for future development Coordinate capital resource allocations between different divisions of the department Manage staff succession planning in accordance with NRF: iThemba LABS Institutional Equity Objectives Oversee human capacity development initiatives in accordance with NRF policy
- Organization of national and international meetings Management of safety, health and environment functions within the department
- Ensure departmental compliance with the regulatory framework governing procurement
- MSc/MEng in Electronics or Software Engineering
- A PhD in physics or engineering will be an advantage
- A minimum of 10 years of experience in research and development projects, including 3 years of experience in a management position
- Represent the general interest of Research and Development Technical Support to the management of iThemba LABS and other relevant strategic platforms
- Proficiency in MS Office applications Excellent writing and communication skills Knowledge of project portfolio management, project controls Demonstrable ability to work in a multidisciplinary project management team Basic understanding of radiation protection (advantageous) Strong management skills change
The NRF website provides more details on initiatives and activities
Applicants must submit a full CV by registering and applying online through the NRF Recruitment and Selection Portal.
Applications should be accompanied by a cover letter indicating the candidate’s suitability for the position.
The names and contact details of at least three arbitrators must be provided.
- Skills in the field of application of the position
- Knowledge to be relevant
- Responsible in the performance of duties
About the employer:
The National Research Foundation (NRF) supports and promotes research and human capital development through funding, the provision of national research facilities and science outreach platforms and programs to the wider community in all fields of science and technology, including natural sciences, engineering and social sciences. and human sciences.
iThemba LABS is Africa’s leading research center for accelerator-based science committed to advancing knowledge, transforming lives and inspiring the nation by probing the fundamental structure and origins of matter; Advance the understanding of condensed matter; Impacting societal needs by providing services to the health and environment sectors.
Find out more/Apply to this position