New Delhi (CSR India): Aiming to bridge the global gap between supply and demand for IT professionals, Sitare Foundation, an all-India educational NGO, has announced the establishment of Sitare University. Sitare University will provide world-class undergraduate computer science education to India’s brightest minds for FREE.
The Sitare University was dreamed up by some of Silicon Valley’s most eminent leaders, top American and European universities, industry leaders and venture capitalists with the aim of ensuring that India’s brightest minds have the opportunity to study computer science and become a global technology. leaders.
The University’s program will be led by renowned names from academia and industry stalwarts such as Vishal Sikka, Vianai Founder and former CEO of Infosys; Mehran Sahami, Professor James and Ellenor Chesebrough, Stanford University; (formerly) Google, Epiphany; Vijay Shekhar Sharma, Founder and CEO of Paytm; Samir Khuller, Peter and Adrienne Barris Chair in Computing, Northwestern University; (formerly) Elizabeth Iribe Chair for Computer Science, University of Maryland; Amit Prakash, Co-Founder and CTO, Thoughtspot (formerly) Google and Microsoft; Claire Cardie, Joseph C. Ford Professor of Engineering, Department of Computer Science, Cornell University; and many other world leaders.
The launch of the Sitare University was announced in the presence of Smt. Yashodhara Raje Scindia, Hon. Minister of Sports and Youth Welfare, Technical Education, Skills Development and Employment, Government of Madhya Pradesh and Dr. Mohan Yadav, Hon. Minister of Higher Education, Government of Madhya Pradesh in the presence of Sunil Kumar Gupta, Vice Chancellor, Rajiv Gandhi Proudyogiki Vishwavidyalaya (RGPV) and Amit Singhal, Founder, Sitare Foundation and Sitare University. The university will initially commence operations at the premises of Rajiv Gandhi Proudyogiki Vishwavidyalaya (RGPV) in the current academic year.
Founding Visiting Faculty
- Amit Prakash: PhD, University of Texas at Austin – Co-Founder and CTO, Thoughtspot (formerly) Google; Microsoft
- Amit Singhal: PhD, Cornell University – Founder, Sitare Foundation – (previously) SVP Google; AT&T Laboratories
- Benedict Gomes: PhD, University of California, Berkeley – SVP Google – (formerly) Sun Microsystems
- Kiran Panesar: PhD, Georgia Institute of Technology – Director of Engineering, Cohesity – (formerly) Google, Intel
- Krishna Bharat: PhD, Georgia Institute of Technology – Distinguished Scholar, Google (formerly) Digital Equipment Corporation
- Sridhar Ramaswamy: PhD, Brown University – Founder, Neeva – (previously) SVP, Google; Epiphany; Bell Laboratories
- Sriram Sankar: PhD, Stanford University – Chief Architect, Anyscale (formerly) Uber, Facebook, LinkedIn, Google, Vmware
- Vibhu Mittal: PhD, University of Southern California – Founder, Mettle Works – (previously) CEO, Edmodo; Google; Carnegie Mellon University
- Vishal Sikka: PhD, Stanford University – Founder, Vianai – (previously) CEO, Infosys, CTO, SAP
- Yoram Singer: Ph.D. Hebrew University, Chief AI Scientist, Worldquant; (formerly) Hebrew University, AT&T Bell Labs, Google, Princeton University
Founding Academic and Curriculum Advisors
- Cathal Gurrin: Deputy Head of the School of Computing, Dublin City University.
- Claire Cardie: Joseph C. Ford Professor of Engineering, Department of Computer Science, Cornell University.
- Kavita Bala: Dean, Ann S. Bowers College of Computing and Information Science, Cornell University
- Mehran Sahami: Professor James and Ellenor Chesebrough, Stanford University; (formerly) Google, E.piphany
- Samir Khuller: Peter and Adrienne Barris Chair of Computing, Northwestern University (formerly) Elizabeth Iribe Chair of Computing, University of Maryland
Founder Program Advisors
- Vijay Shekhar Sharma: Founder and CEO of Paytm
- Ajeet Singh: Co-Founder and Executive Chairman, ThoughtSpot
- Ash Lilani: Managing Partner, Saama Capital
- Neeraj Arora: co-founder, HalloApp
- Shashin Shah: Managing Partner, Think Investments
The University will offer a four-year Bachelor of Technology in Computer Science alongside five specialized majors, covering several new era technologies such as AI, systems, human-computer interactions, Blockchain technologies and computer security. Students will be selected based on their JEE Mains performance, as well as an interview and a detailed background check. The University’s first batch will begin with an admission of FIFTY students with plans to begin producing one thousand high-quality computer science graduates each year.
Amit Singhal, Founder of Sitare Foundation and Sitare University, said during his speech, “The world faces a critical shortage of high-quality computer scientists. India has a large population of very bright underprivileged children who are not reaching their full potential due to lack of educational resources. We have already witnessed the potential of these students when five students from the first group of the foundation obtained several admissions to the best computer science programs at prestigious American universities this year.
Our vision at Sitare University is to produce one thousand high quality IT graduates in India every year by providing free world-class IT education to bright and underprivileged students of India.
“Education that is widely accessible to all, that helps us all reach our full potential regardless of our socio-economic status, is the foundation for improving the human condition and amplifying our humanity. Computer science education is a key part of this, and it is imperative that we bring the best and the brightest to the creation of next-generation technologies,” said Dr. Vishal Sikka, Founder and CEO of Vianai Systems. “I am very happy that Amit and the team at Sitare University are launching this groundbreaking institution and look forward to advising them on this wonderful journey.”
The Sitare Foundation will provide 100% scholarships to all deserving students of Sitare University. Sitare University’s in-depth academic program will be coupled with a rigorous industry internship program with internships and jobs in Silicon Valley.
India CSR I July 15, 2022