- Superbet Chess Classic Romania: May 3 – May 15, 2022, Bucharest, Romania
- Superbet Rapid & Blitz Poland: May 17 – May 24, 2022, Warsaw, Poland
- SuperUnited Rapid & Blitz Croatia: July 18 – July 25, 2021, Zagreb, Croatia
- St. Louis Rapid & Blitz: August 24 – August 31, 2022, St. Louis, Missouri UNITED STATES
- Sinquefield Cup: August 31 – September 13, 2022 St. Louis, Missouri UNITED STATES
The Superbet Foundation and the Saint Louis Chess Club, two nonprofit organizations that support chess education and the mission to bring the game of chess to a global audience, return as major sponsors of the Grand Chess Tour.
“This year’s tour has been further enhanced through strategic partnerships with our two major sponsors, the Superbet Foundation and the Saint Louis Chess Club. Their sponsorship and support is an integral part of the Grand Chess Tour’s mission,” said the Executive Director of the Grand Chess Tour, Michel Khodarkovsky. “We look forward to working with our sponsors and organizers as we continue to grow and expand the Grand Chess Tour to popularize chess around the world.”
Full tour participants for the 2022 season include:
- GM so wesley (UNITED STATES)winner of the Grand Chess Tour 2021 and winner of the Paris Rapid & Blitz 2021.
- GM Maxime Vachier-Lagrave (France)second winner of the Grand Chess Tour 2021, winner of the Sinquefield Cup 2021 and winner of the Croatia Grand Chess Tour 2021.
- GM Shakhriyar Mamedyarov (Azerbaijan)third place in the Grand Chess Tour 2021 and winner of the Superbet Chess Classic Romania 2021.
- GM Alireza Firouzja (France)first year as a GCT full circuit player, ranked number 2 in the world and among the candidates for the 2022 world championship.
- GM Fabien Caruana (UNITED STATES)ranked number 4 in the world and among the candidates for the 2022 world championship.
- GM Ian Nepomniachtchi (Russia)ranked number 5 in the world, Challenger of the 2021 World Championship and among the contenders for the 2022 World Championship.
- GM Levon Aronian (UNITED STATES)contender for the 2022 world championship candidates.
- GM Richard Report (Hungary)contender for the 2022 world championship candidates.
- GM Leinier Dominguez (UNITED STATES)first year as a GCT full circuit player and 2022 World Championship contender.
The first stage of the Grand Chess Tour, the Superbet Chess Classic Romania, will include all nine players from the full tour and one wildcard player, Romanian grandmaster Bogdan-Daniel Deac. The Superbet Chess Classic Romania is sponsored by the Superbet Foundation, One United Properties and First Bank and features a 10-player round-robin battle for a total of $350,000 in prize money and will feature a commentary team consisting of Grandmasters Yasser Seirawan, Peter Svidler, Alejandro Ramirez and Christian Chirila and female grandmaster Anastasia Karlovich.
the Superbet Rapid & Blitz Poland, the newest stage of the Tour, will feature four full circuit players and six generic players. This will be the first time for Grandmasters Kirill Shevchenko to Ukraine and Radoslaw Wojtaszek from Poland. To complete the wildcards, the former world champion Viswanathan Anand from Indiawinner of the 2021 World Cup, grandmaster Jan-Krzysztof Duda of PolandGrand Masters Anton Korobov of Ukraineand Constantin Lupulescu from Romania. The tournament is sponsored by the Superbet Foundation. The first quick and blitz leg of the tour will feature a 10-player round-robin battle for one $175,000 prize fund.
Additionally, international referee David Sedgwick of England was reappointed as Chief Umpire of the Grand Chess Tour and International Umpire Chris Bird of United States as Deputy Chief Referee for 2022.
For more information, visit grandchesstour.org.
Grand chess tower
The Grand Chess Tour is a circuit of international events, each demonstrating the highest level of organization for the best players in the world. The legendary Garry Kasparov, one of the world’s greatest chess ambassadors, inspired the Grand Chess Tour and helped solidify the partnership between organizers. All Grand Chess Tour 2022 events will comply with local and regional COVID-19 restrictions. For more information about the tour, please visit grandchesstour.org.
Founded in 2019, the Superbet Foundation is a non-profit organization. Its role is to coordinate the CSR actions of the Superbet Group and to ensure the link with civil society organizations and the general public. Through its activity, the Foundation aspires to a better world, with healthy and educated people and by supporting various projects, it wants to inspire people to adopt unshakable moral values. It supports projects in fields such as education, health, culture, performance in sport and, more particularly, in chess. Since 2019, chess has become one of the backbones of the Superbet Foundation by organizing its first Grand Chess Tour tournament in Bucharest. The Foundation is committed to making GCT tournaments a tradition for the Romanian and Polish chess communities. For more information, visit superchess.ro.
St. Louis Chess Club
he Saint Louis Chess Club is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization committed to making chess an important part of our community. In addition to providing a forum for the community to play tournaments and casual games, the club also offers advanced chess classes, beginners classes, and special lectures.
Recognizing the cognitive and behavioral benefits of chess, the Saint Louis Chess Club is committed to supporting chess programs that already exist in area schools while encouraging the development of new in-school and after-school programs. . For more information, visit saintlouischessclub.org.
SOURCE St. Louis Chess Club